Tuesday 29 January 2013

Sunday 4th July 2010


I’m sat here under a huge mosquito net which took ½ hour work out how to put up! We finally made it to our Chamba Valley at 4am and are staying in basic bungalows owned by the Evangelical Church of Zambia (ECZ). After a few hours shut-eye we were up and about this morning for church. The choir sounded beautiful, Africans have such an innate rhythm! I was really surprised to hear them singing songs that we sing back home in the UK; small world or what!
Afterwards, we walked to Kiine School where the headteacher shared his vision for educating 1,000 children. I was surprised how cool it was today and I was too much of a wuss to go in the pool, although a couple of the team braved the cold and had a dip!
It was great to then have a proper sit-down, home-cooked meal after what felt like days of plane-food and nibbles! I was curious as to what we would be eating here in Zambia but we had a lovely bean casserole and rice with loads of butternut squash. I needn’t have worried!