Friday 1 February 2013

Wednesday 7th July 2010

I literally can’t begin to put into words the emotional rollercoaster which was today.

Walking through the ramshackle housing to the building site still doesn't get any easier. There is always something to stop you in your tracks. Today the kids were waving at us and I was waving to one boy and couldn’t work out what he was waving back at me. As we got closer I saw he was dangling dead mice by their tails! Mind you, if there are no toys available, the kids just learn to play with whatever is to hand.

It was warmer today but we still made good progress on the foundations. After lunch we drove to ‘Fountain of Hope’ (FOH). What an incredible place! The journey itself took longer than expected as the President’s convoy passed and the police stopped all the traffic. We went through a different part of the city and it was a shock to see western looking buildings and tarmacked car parks with painted bays! It's funny the things that strike you most are things you've never really considered before. Car park bays in this case!
After each introducing ourselves to the boys (90% of Zambia's street kids are boys), we were left to mingle. I ended up playing volleyball with some of them and the most eccentric teacher. As the sun set we headed to the dining room where the boys sang the most incredible songs and our team, as expected also, (less tunefully, but in good heart) sang a couple. The energy in that room blew me away and by the end of the night I was as hoarse as if I’d been to a gig!  Such a party atmosphere and many boys spoke and cried so openly as they shared their stories.  
We then shared Nshima (local staple maize mash) and cabbage before shaking hands with every boy as they thanked and hugged us all; such a special moment. I was so moved in fact that I sobbed most of the way home. Such beautiful moments of connection with people from such a different world to my own. This has been one of the most special nights of my life.